Yes, you can eat pizza for breakfast and healthy pancakes every day of the week. But you won’t believe that dreams really do come true until you take a bite of these nutritious chunky monkey brownies. They’re so rich and delicious that you might not believe they’re actually good for you.
Jordan Younger‘s chunky monkey banana bread brownie creation is completely vegan and sos-free. “The salt-oil-sugar-free way of life has been one of my greatest healers during this Lyme disease journey. Finding this anti-inflammatory way to live has been a total saving grace, but I didn’t want to give up my yummy desserts,” says the plant-based recipe blogger behind The Balanced Blonde. “Creating plant-based goodness in the kitchen is one of my favorite things to do—it feels like therapy to me. After dreaming up this recipe, I knew I had to try making it.”
And the verdict? Delicious. And how can it not be? These chunky monkey banana bread brownies are a merge of some of the best comfort foods, after all. The next time you’re craving something sweet, try them out for yourself.
Chunky Monkey Banana Bread Brownies
3 overripe spotty bananas
2 cups buckwheat flour (or gluten-free flour of choice)
1/2 cup almond milk
2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp flax mixed with 6 tsp water)
1 cup pitted medjool dates (soaked is better)
1 banana to top, sliced in half lengthwise (optional)
2 Tbsp cacao powder
1/2 cup sugar-free dark chocolate chips
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix flax egg ingredients and set aside to firm.
3. In a large bowl, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly.
4. In a food processor or blender (or a hand mixer) add in the dates, almond milk, vanilla, ACV, cacao, and bananas to the batter mixture. Blend until smooth.
5. Add in chocolate chips and flax eggs, then pour batter into a loaf pan or square brownie pan. Top with sliced banana if desired.
6. Pop into the oven and bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick runs clean. Cool, and enjoy!